Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pick up the pace: eliminate verb villains

Once a writer has learned to avoid the use of the passive voice, the next step is to work on his or her choice of active verbs. The verbs a writer uses should be as specific as possible. The use of specific verbs: 
  • creates a clearer, more vivid image in the reader's mind.
  • helps the writer avoid overuse of common, non-specific verbs.

Many writers fall into the habit of depending on certain non-specific verbs, using these verbs so frequently that they jar the reader into noticing them, thus distracting the reader from the story. Anything that distracts the reader from the story slows the pace. Whether you are writing fiction or non-fiction, skillful pacing is one way to keep the reader eager to continue reading.


There are a number of these overused verb villains, and they may vary from writer to writer.  Common culprits include but are not limited to:  go, turn, move, get, come.


Below is an example of a short selection that needs revision. The verb villains in the example are highlighted. Two other verbs which could be improved by replacement with more specific verbs are in boldface.


I heard a noise behind me. I turned and saw a huge man with a hammer in his hand. When he moved toward me, I screamed. 

Rodger shouted from upstairs. I yelled his name and heard his footsteps coming down the stairs. The man turned and ran out the door. I moved to the bottom of the steps and turned to hug Rodger as he reached the bottom step. When I told him about the man, he moved past me, picked up the phone, and dialed 9-1-1.

These two paragraphs should relate a tense, exciting scene, but the use of non-specific verbs greatly reduces the impact.

Below is a revision using more specific verbs.

I heard a noise behind me. I spun around and saw a huge man with a hammer in his hand. When he stepped toward me, I screamed.

Rodger shouted from upstairs. I yelled his name and heard his footsteps pounding down the stairs. The huge man wheeled and raced out the door. I dashed to the stairs and hugged Rodger as he reached the bottom step. When I told him about the man, he slipped past me, grabbed the phone, and dialed 9-1-1.


Each verb revision in the selection gives the reader a more precise mental image of the action. Although the paragraphs need further revision, replacing the non-specific verb villains is a definite improvement.

In Brief:  Beware of overuse of non-specific verbs. Revise to eliminate them from your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment